Friday, September 28, 2007

BOB Books


I've always wanted to own a set of BOB Books. They're reputed to be among the best for children learning to read, so I sat down with my own little guinea pig today (my 5-year old daughter) and read her as many as she'd permit.

I'd finish and book and she'd say, "That was short!" And she resisted my attempts to get her to sound out the words, but hey, we can't all be Reading Superstars, I guess. But here are some cool features of these books:

* A few letters are added in each sequentially ordered book, with only five sight words introduced in the whole set (12 books per set);
* As the books progress, all letters of the alphabet (except Q) are introduced with consistent sounds throughout.

I love these books! And my daughter did, too, though she wanted to go outside and play (read: bug her brothers) rather than read. I know that we'll be reading them frequently over the next year as my daughter (who missed the kindergarten cut-off by a day!) learns to read.

You can purchase these books on Amazon. There are several sets: Set 1 Beginning Readers, Set 2 Advancing Beginners, Set 3 Word Families, Set 4 Compound Words and Set 5 Long Vowels.

* * *

I was compensated for this review with an Amazon gift card, but the opinion expressed is entirely my own.

No comments: