Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Product Review: Cranium Bloom Games

Cranium has introduced a new product line: games, books, puzzles and toys for preschoolers. I'm a fan of Cranium already, so I was delighted to receive two games to test with my preschooler (and her friend, a kindergartener).

We played "Let's Play Count & Cook Game" first. The object of the game is to collect all the ingredients in the recipe. You use a simple board, a dice and a cook (as your game piece). The game is very cooperative--you all work together to collect the ingredients from the board. The "winner" is the one who lands on the last ingredient, but it's very non-competitive. (Which I appreciate when playing with preschoolers.)

The kids wanted to play it again, but I rushed them on so we could try out the next game.

"Let's Go to the Zoo Seek & Find Puzzle" comes with a 24 piece puzzle, a dry-erase pen and two books of cards. The idea is to find the items pictured on the cards and then locate them on the puzzle and circle them with the pen. We started the game together, then I left to write this review--and they are still happily searching for items and circling them. Again, they are working together. I love games that are cooperative.

I must confess that I hate playing board games, but these games are very attractive, easy to play and fun for the kids. Plus, they do not drag out forever and a day like some games we own. (My husband is the game player around here. That is why I married him.) (Oh, and I love what Anna Quindlen says: "Maybe I had three children in the first place so I wouldn't ever have to play board games. " I wholeheartedly agree.)

But as far as games go, as far as preschool games go, these are delightful and even I, a game curmudgeon, approve and recommend them to you.

No comments: