Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Book Review: Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years With Down Syndrome


This book, Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years With Down Syndrome (Paperback), by Jennifer Graf Groneberg is the story of a mother's first two years with her son, Avery, who was born with Down syndrome. She describes the details from the early days of the shocking news and draws you into the story of how life with Avery changed her and her family.

Jennifer is a lovely, lyrical writer. She blogs here.

You can try not to cry after reading the story about the cover photo here.

Here's what other people say about her book.

If you are interested in mothering, children who have Down syndrome, love or any combination of the above, you'll want to check out this book.

While I read Jennifer's book, the old days of having twin babies in my house flooded back to me. The entire world revolved around nap-times and feedings and baths in the kitchen sink. You see, Jennifer's baby, Avery who was born with Down syndrome, was one-half of a set of twins. Raising twins is challenging enough, but Jennifer also had an older child and the unexpected news that one of the babies was born with Down syndrome.

She writes in present tense of journeying through the first two years of her twins' lives, so you do feel as if you are in the middle of her life, if only for a moment. And isn't that what reading is all about? Trying on someone else's life to see how it feels?

1 comment:

jennifergg said...

Thank you for reading my book, and for writing a review of it, and especailly for using my two favorite "L" words, "lovely" and "lyrical." (And I hope everyone is feeling better at your house...)