Thursday, April 10, 2008

Book Review: The Cure for Modern Life


I'm midway through this book, even though I only started it a few days ago. (I had another book to review a couple of days ago, plus a different one last week--or was it the week before?)

Anyway, the book is Lisa Tucker's The Cure for Modern Life.

Here's what Publisher's Weekly says:
This is her best novel yet, with captivating characters, a progressively intricate plot and unexpected twists that grabbed me and did not let me go. The hip, funny and cynical protagonist, Matthew Connelly, who works for a pharmaceutical company and undergoes a transformation after meeting a homeless 10-year-old boy, is so fully realized that I wondered who Tucker had been talking to, to get such insight into the male mind. As Matthew's definition of happiness and success is upended, the reader confronts serious questions about what the good life is and how we decide what is right and wrong.
Now that we have all the appropriate links in their proper places, let me tell you how I feel about this book. I would rather read it than sleep. I have been reading it while eating my dinner. I considered reading it while working. (But resisted that urge.)

I began reading it with no preconceptions about the plot and no familiarity with Lisa Tucker at all. But from the first page, I was drawn into the story. What will happen next? What will happen to the homeless children and their drug addict mother? Will the protagonist self-destruct? Will the self-righteous heroine (heroine?) bring down the big evil corporation?

Even if I knew, I couldn't tell you, of course. But I will tell you that I am enjoying this book and even though my obligation to it ends with this blog post, I am going to read every single page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.